Saturday, February 16, 2008

Big L Rest In Peace...


May 30, 1974 – February 15, 1999

I wanted to post this yesterday, but my internet connection was sucking so you get it today.

When I was 16 years old there were two rappers that I thought were going to take over the world, Big L and Canibus. I was wrong about both, but for different reasons. Big L died before he had the chance.

He was set to sign with Jay-Z's Roc-a-fella records, but was shot a week before he was to do so. His album "The Big Picture" was finished after he died and bittersweetly ended up going platinum which goes to show that he definitely had a special quality about his music.

This was the first record I bought that I really thought I dropped alot of cash on. I bought it on ebay for 45 bucks. I may have gotten ripped off but when I heard this song it was just one of those things I had to have. I was so happy to have it in my hands when it finally came in.

Big L - MVP



After "The Big Picture" was released I was listening to the radio and heard "Flamboyant" and it had instant classic status in my mind. I knew the city dj's went to a certain record store in town to unload their promo vinyl. I found out Flamboyant was promo only so I figured thats where I'd find it. It was there with about 50 other Rawkus promos which was an amazing moment in my life as Rawkus was kind of ruling the game at the time IMO...

Big L - Flamboyant


And then there was the storied Wake Up Show freestyle session he had with Jay-Z.

Big L/Jay-Z Freestyle


and just for good measure.

Gang Starr - Full Clip

1 Comments:

Blogger Dance Armstrong said...

Good shit.. I remember being in the army in 1999 and just couldn't accept the fact that he was gone.. one of the best to ever do it. Just imagine what kind of records we would've had with Jay and L on Kanye/Bink/JustBlaze/Timbaland beats.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home