Thursday, February 28, 2008

Guilty Pleasure Thursdays: 2/28/08



Since I wanted to make it up to everyone for missing last week's GPT I figured this week I'd traverse through a genre that I'm pretty embarrassed I ever listened to.

I feel like everyone has a moment in their lives where they don't really know too much about music so they just absorb what's going on in the atmosphere around them...for me this was my pop punk era. I had just moved to Phoenix and started high school there. I played on the football team and the popular kids on the team listened to this shit, and I felt like for me to get accepted and infiltrate the popular crowd of kids I needed to befriend the "cool guys" on the team.

My gateway into the realm of pop punk came through punk covers which sounds so lame right now, but whatever. A New Found Glory (pictured above) put out a whole album of punk covers and I listened to that for a while, I found myself wanting more. So I hop on my computer and log into KaZaa (represent!) and type in punk covers and for the moment found myself in heaven. About 10 days later I had downloaded about 20 songs (thanks dial-up!). I had the best of what I thought were "great" bands at the time with punk covers from Pennywise, MXPX, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, and of course MORE NEW FOUND GLORY!!!

Once I got my fill of covers I progressed into original work, which I guess was a better move? I really went deep with it and started searching out bands for myself and soon enough due to my apparent gene for music nerdery I was probably the most knowledgeable person I knew about pop punk music(really nothing to brag about...).

The only real saving grace that I had was that I never started dressing like the douchebags who listened to this stuff, which had it happened, would've been the darkest cloud in my past...

The good news was I ended up being a fairly popular dude who was both revered by dudes, and loved by the ladies (I said that like Conan says it). And all in all, I'm not that ashamed by it, like it's totally lame and bad music for the most part but it reminds me of dumb shit from high school, which was mostly a good experience...I've also righted my wrongs and feel like I've moved onto much better music listening habits...Who knows though? Maybe in 6 years I'll look back on today and think Soft Rock was the lamest shit ever...even though it's totally amazing.

Anyway, here's some shit that I felt were bangers back then...

A New Found Glory - Boy Crazy

This was one of the first songs I really really liked like ALOT. I listened to it ALL the time. I felt like NFG was writing the song for me because girls totally sucked and were always sucking the life out of me...

One Man Army - Victoria

This song I found one day while looking through cd's at Zia Records and thought it was cool cause I knew a girl named Victoria and she was kinda hot so I figured "why not bring this up in convo and get things poppin'?".

It didn't quite work out that way...

No Use for a Name - International You Day

I put this on a mixtape for a girl one time. I was so full of angst and wanted her to know I really liked her but didn't want to say it in real life so I figured I'd use the gift of song to get her to fall in love with me, cause these lyrics are totes panty droppers.

Also, did not work out...

Millencolin - Fox

This was a fun song I used to listen to after school when I was driving around with my friend Stacie and we would talk about how much the opposite sex was fucking us over that day/week/month/year/for life.

as you can tell unrequited love/teen angst was a heavy influence on basically anything I've listened to from age 0 till umm...now...

I'm gonna cap it off there, but this post would've had about 80 more songs if I still had my old computer. I got rid of alot of gems from this era on my Mac switchover...

Also, I never listened to Good Charlotte because they are a total shitfest and utterly retarded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home