Sunday, March 09, 2008

The Greatest Rapper of All Time...

Died on March 9th.



This is always an important day to me because Biggie is easily one of my top 3 rappers of all time. He was so important in hip hop history and his music still kills it anywhere I've played.

Growing up in Arizona there weren't that many dudes who were really feeling east coast hip hop that much but it's really what made me love rap when I was young. Lots of kids in my neighborhood would listen to tupac, dre, snoop and the usual death row fare, but I was always trying to get into biggie, jeru, gangstarr, jay-z, nas, mobb deep so I was in the minority.

The day I found out he died was one of the saddest moments I can remember. I was still fairly young (14) but I was a nerd and was always in my room listening to music and watching mtv so I knew what was going on and it was sad to see the east/west coast feud come to that.

But I always take today to reflect on the good things he brought. He really was a dude that changed the game. Him and diddy really created the formula of taking hood music to the pop charts and it was kind of a wrap on everyone else for a while. It's crazy to wonder what could've come from Biggie if he was still around, but thats a question that's kind of pointless to think about...

I'd rather just see how dude did it and be thankful we at least got to see a portion of his talent during our lifetime.

I feel like everyone has Biggie mp3s so im gonna post some videos...



this is Big at 17, it was easy to see he was going to be one of the greats. Slick rhyme style and loads of charizma. Please pay attention to the dude he's battling that just decides to walk away because he got owned.



before all the BS...



I remember watching this in '95 sitting at home and thinking how awesome it was that Biggie came to AZ to rap on the river. I thought it was amazing that he was only an hour and 15 minutes away from where I lived, but was then upset to find that you had to be over 18 to get into MTV spring break which was YEARS away for the 12 year old me.



This song came out after he died, but its one of my favorite biggie songs because this girl who was like my best friend back then bought it for me when I came back from some trip and she told me to come over cause she had a present for me, so my mom drove me over to her house and she gave me the cassingle. I think I listened to it about 900 times. I had to buy the cd single because I burned out the tape.

R.I.P. Biggie...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home